Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Travel Tales from Tasmania

When I first set this blog up it was so I had somewhere to display my art and share my travel adventures, can't say we have done a great deal of travel in the last couple of years but finally we have had a wonderful 3 week trip to Tasmania. Tassy (as it is affectionately known) is an island state off the southern coast of mainland Australia about an hours flight or overnight on the "Spirit of Tasmania" car ferry.
It is not very large one can drive a car from the north to the south in about 2 hours as long as you don't stop any where along the way.
Having 3 weeks we opted for a more leisurely trip and to try and see as much as possible without rushing as this was to be a de-stressing holiday!
As a child I lived for 4 years in Launceston (city in the north of Tassy) so was keen to revisit places that I remember.
I did quite a bit of research on places to visit and of course asked Tasmanian friends what we should not miss. This list was extensive so I got out a map and started plotting which direction to circumnavigate and the best places to stop. We have friends and family who live there and we wished to visit so they had to be included in our itinerary.
Having friends on the north-west coast who were going to be interstate themselves at the beginning of our trip made the decision where to go first a little easier. We would land in Devonport and head for the west coast town of Strahan.
Both Mike and I have a digital camera and are mad shutterbugs! There are 1000's of photos to sort through, so it may take some time to get a selection up on my blog.

No comments: